Sunday, September 7, 2008

Autobiography of Reecie

Hey everyone. I'm Reecie Foxtrot as u should know. I was born in 1988, in White Plains, New York, and am a little bit older than most freshman. Most of my family still lives in that area of New York, but when I was 9 we moved to Florida. We moved around for awhile in south Florida, and my dad had stayed in north Florida. Eventually, last year, my mom moved up to North Carolina, with her boyfriend, and I was in South Carolina at the time at a tennis academy. I eventually left the tennis academy and went home to my mom, in North Carolina. So how did I get around to Kentucky? Well, I met my boyfriend at the tennis academy in South Carolina, and he is originally from Kentucky. I decided I wanted to stay close to him and come to UK (he attends Centre College). I have been living in Kentucky since April of this year, and I grown very fond of the state :)

So I guess you could say most of my life has been based around the sport of tennis till this point. I started playing tennis when I was just 2. I started playing tournaments when I was 7, and declared to my mom I wanted to turn professional...lol. So with my dream in mind, I started training up to 6 hrs a day starting at the age of 12. My hard work did pay off, because at the age of 15 I was ranked top 10 in the world in juniors 18 and under. At the age of 16 I turned pro, and at 17, was ranked in the top 300 in the world in women's. I was fortunate to have been able to travel to the many places. Although, I was there for the tournament, and unable to explore the cities more. The conclusion to my tennis career came when I was 19, at the end of last year. I injured my back (not sure how) and it is still not healed to this day. So, forced to end my tennis career, I decided I wanted to get a good education and that UK would be the place to do so :)

The first couple weeks of school have been interesting. Right now my major is International Studies, but I am unsure it will stay as that. I guess a slight fear of mine at UK is that I wont be able to find something that I like. That I'll come to college, and leave the same way I came in, but im sure that this is just an exaggerated fear, and that I will find what suits me best. I only attended school until 6th grade (I was homeschooled from 7th grade on), so the whole college experience is new to me. Not so much the living on your own part of it, as I have already done so while playing tennis, but the classroom aspect, and the large amount of students. I feel myself getting accustomed to it thought, and soon enough I will fit right in with the UK culture.

On the personality test, I got ISFJ, or "Introvert, Sensor, Feeler, Judging". I got this result both from the computer results and my own results, so I would say it was pretty accurate. As far as what learner I am, I consider myself a combination of a visual learner and an analytical learner. I find myself both learning best when I can see something, written down or whatnot, and when I can take the information, process it myself, and think about it logically.

The DSP class is very interesting to me. I really enjoyed the simulated cultures activity that we participated in. It was both fun and informative. We were able to find out what the Betans thought about our culture, them not knowing what our culture values were, and as well let them know what we thought about theirs. Overall I think the Alphans were better as a whole as a culture, but that might be a bit biased... haha. The personality tests were interesting as well. Although it didnt seem to work out for everyone else, it pretty much got my personality pretty close on (not 100% but maybe like 85% lol). I look forward to many of the topics we are going to cover in this class.

So thats me, Reecie. Hope you enjoyed, at least a little, my life story. Thats the way things have played out for me so far. It was pretty long I know lol, but you've made it through reading it. As far as where life will take me, I hope to find out. Thanks for reading ^_^

2 comments:

Julianna Scribe said...

I really enjoyed how you wrote your autobiography and I love how your page is set-up. The whole title is cute. I learned alot about you in your autobiography that I probably wouldnt have got to if we just sat in class together lol

Phoolendu Naidoo said...

It is amazing to me that you were able to rank in the world for your tennis ability, says a lot about your determination in the sport. Which is also why it is unfortunate it had to end the way it did. Well hopefully things will still turn out good in the end, and maybe you will find something through college that you could not get through tennis.

phoolendu naidoo