Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A crunchy reaction to the Cover of "A Handmaid's Tale"


Well first impressions are everything.... or are they?
Can you read a book by its cover? Well I am going to attempt to...

Only reading little of the book so far (i need to start reading faster....) I was able to get a good impression of the book just by looking at the cover, without using what I know from the inside. I'll combine some of what I said in our class thread, along with a few more things...

From the cover of "A Handmaid's Tale" I get a sense that these women, the handmaids, are trapped somehow, in a place that resembles darkness; the bricks going around them (going all the way up high) showing they are trapped with no freedom, no exit. But this resembles what I had said about the shadow and light in my previous blog, because I see that these two women are not in the shadows, but in the light. A light is being shined on them, and if I was to predict what the creater of this image was thinking, the light is being shined on their lifestyles. Such as the rules they must follow, their outfits being the same and in a certain color. It also seems like they have a certain job to do, because the one woman is holding a basket. As i know that the women's jobs are to conceive children for the elite couples who cannot, the basket might even be a means to hold a child. There isnt much else I can come up with just by looking at the cover, so I am going to start reading more of the book so I can learn more about it :)

Thanks for reading and sharing :)
-Reeice ^_^

2 comments:

Phoolendu Naidoo said...

I also noticed the contrast of light and shadow on the cover right off. It was especially interesting due to the recent blog prompt we had about "shadow and light" being the name of the book. You point out that the women are in the light, I myself am left wondering what is in the shadows? The first woman seems to be peering into the shadows, as if she is either running for something or ready to face them.

LandRe said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog!
I think you're right that a total throwing away of modesty is not likely, however, compared to less recent times, today's society may be seen as having discarded much of its modest actions. I know you're not bashing women! lol. I think part of the reason that men seem to have so much more power in politics and so many other things is because science tries to prove us different biologically. I think that there are some differences between men and women, but as far as mental characteristics, we are all human and tend to have similar values, most of the time, even if we don't always think in the same processes. It's like in Chapter 5 of Appiah's Cosmopolitanism...we might not always agree on why, but we can agree on the course of action to take.
The basket was an excellent revelation! I didn't even think about the basket representing a "job,"a.k.a. child-bearing! Good work! ^.-