Monday, November 17, 2008

There was a bag of Reecies under the couch >.<

Hey all!
So this week I am going to get back into my observations of my field project. I've made some new findings and I'm ready to share them! :P lol. I have made 3 interviews so far, and think they have gone well. I have found out some interesting things, some the same between my interviewees, and some answers were opposites!

So firstly, the main thing I am going to discuss is about the noise levels in Patterson Hall lounge. People's opinions, actions and reactions have seemed to be quite contrasting. Throughout my early observations, I noticed most people to be quiet in the lounge. Not much talking and if so they were at quiet levels. Another occasion that I was observing the lounge, there was some talking at louder levels, but everyone seemed pretty content, and the noise did not seem to be an issue. Now last night.. that is a different story. Before I interviewed, I had been observing taking field notes. I noticed a group being pretty loud on a somewhat busy night for the lounge (when I say it was busy I mean there were more people there studying than usual.) This was around 11 at night on a Sunday, so aka during quiet hours. In this group of loud-ish people there were 2 guys and 2 girls. Around the lounge there were 2 groups and 3 individuals. I noticed from watching the other people that they were annoyed by the loud group. They glanced over (with a somewhat "dirty look") numerous times. I then conducted a few interviews. My first interview that night was with a male from the loud group. When I asked him about noise levels he mentioned that they were not a problem for him, and he usually talked and studied at the same time and didn’t worry about his own levels when he comes to the lounge. My second interview for the night was with a female who had come to the lounge to talk to some people who were studying. She mentioned that the noise was extremely loud that night, and the other people in the lounge had a problem with it. She also said noise was a big deal for her, and she prefers it to be quiet so she can study.

So with this new observation, Ive found that noise levels either are a big deal and arent. Usually the students in the lounge do have that unspoken rule that you should keep your voices down, but there are some students who seem not to have this courtesy. I find it especially interesting when there are glares between the quiet students almost as if saying "do you hear how loud they are?" I look forward to what my new observatons bring me and the observations of my classmates :)

Thanks :)
-Reecie ^_^

1 comment:

Phoolendu Naidoo said...

This is an interesting point, it goes back to the common neutral civilities we talked about with the Anderson essay, and how most people are generally observed to act civil under the same basic assumptions of what is polite. However, in this case it seems noise levels are a subjective value, the true nature of the book cosmopolitanism. It seems this conflict of values is crossing the boundaries of the civilities, as some people think that being quiet is polite, but other people apparently do not care and do not value quietness as a virtue. Perhaps if the two sides of the argument would discuss their feelings an agreement could be reached.