Monday, November 10, 2008

Finding some Reecies in Patterson Hall

So with this new blog Unit, with a pretty much open flow... I am deciding to start out by talking about my UK Project. I think it will help get my thoughts together, as I think it’s a bit messy right now.

So I choose to do my project in the lobby/lounge area of Patterson Hall. I figured since I always saw people studying there, and some hanging out, and even meetings sometimes, that it might be nice to study it. Patterson Hall is a Living Learning Community for the Honors program, so I hope to learn more about that, but most (not all) of the students in Patterson Hall are in the honors program, and only 25 of them are official members of the Living Learning Community.
So I have only had time for a few observations so far.
Thus far, I have only seen students in this area to study. I have yet to figure out when the meetings are or things to do with honors program. During these times of study, I’ve noticed that at some times the students seem to be keeping their voices down for the other students studying while talking. And at other times there are students who don’t seem to mind and talk normally, or even a little louder in excitement. When these students talk loud, there are some students who turn from the other side and watch them talk (seem to be distracted slightly), and there are other students who have headphones on and pay no attention. Most students come here with a laptop, and if not that then books. Half seem to have headphones on. There seems to be more students coming there individually, but there seems to be a time when another student comes to meet with them, and form a small study group of 2 or 3. Overall so far I am noticing a slight pattern with the students, but I will have to observe more to confirm this.
I hope to learn more soon :) And look forward to finding out about the interviews tomorrow.

Thanks :)
-Reecie ^_^

3 comments:

LandRe said...

What is the difference between the Living and Learning Community students and the Honors students? (I mean their curriculum)It sounds like the area is a bit clickish. Maybe the Living and Learning Community students are struggling to get along with the students in the honors program, who are trying to be a little more studious and a little less cosmopolitan and more solitary? Do you think this is a productive community with the both of them together to achieve the means of both? It seems that they are approaching studies in two completely different ways, if, of course, the division I am guessing at suggests.

Phoolendu Naidoo said...

I like your mention of the social activities developing. It relates to how we talked about a community being "civil" today in class. As in many students in your site seem to mind civil rules of being quiet while other students are trying to study. It will be interesting to hear what other basic civilities are honored by the people who come to this location.

Elle Raghilda said...

Your blog entry reminds me a lot of LandRe's. The environments seem similar with people keeping to themselves and not a whole lot of social interaction. I'm wondering if this will change? It will be interesting to see if and how it does.